Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Gardening

There is a community garden area by where we live, and this year we decided to do a plot. The plot is 10' X 20' (that's 200 sq ft!). This year they made a new garden area, and we got one of the new plots which was nice because we got the new fencing (the old garden has a fence made of sticks and random stuff) but it also meant more ground prep work. Someone had the brilliant idea to rent a rototiller and split it between anyone wanting a turn. So about a week ago Kurt kindly ran the rototiller in our garden plot. I guess it was pretty engrossing because he didn't even notice me taking pictures of him.
This past Monday I started planting. Here are our tomato plants.
Here is most of our garden. You can kind of see the string on the left of the tomato plants separating our plot from our neighbor's. There is one plot on the right, too, but no one is using that one. So, since I know you're dying to know, we planted tomatoes, basil, cilantro, spinach, watermelon, canteloupe, pumpkin, peppers, winter squash and carrots. I was going to plant lettuce as well, but when I went to open my seed packet, it was empty! And yet not worth a trip back to Lowe's to refund my $1.39. We still have more room in the garden so I may consider planting zucchini and onions as well.

2 comments:

Joyous said...

woohoo! Nice work. I'm excited to see how things progress as the veggies grow. Gardening makes me happy.

Carmen Cole said...

Wow. Who's going to water all that? That was the hardest part for us when we attempted a garden. Tomatoes get so thirsty!