Friday, May 1, 2009

Something Other Than Naomi

So to the rest of you it may seem like just a few days, but to me it feels like an eternity since I lasted posted pictures. I usually carry my camera with me everywhere, but lately I have run out of batteries. Hopefully that will be remedied in a few hours, but until then, I may as well take a moment to write about me (and a little about Kurt, too, I guess :).

Mostly I just wanted to say how awesome yesterday was. On the morning walk, I asked a friend about the song she and a couple other girls were singing for the Ward Talent Show. Turns out they were singing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" and needed a trumpet player. Well, what do you know. I play trumpet. So I volunteered. I haven't really played in 3 1/2 years but it was such a big part of my life before, I was excited to play again. I have to say we sound pretty good, so for the locals, that's an incentive to come on Saturday. But as if that wasn't enough, when Naomi and I were out playing on the playground, an older woman approached me and starting talking to me in broken English. She explained that she spoke Russian. Well, what do you know again. So do I. So we started chatting in Russian (okay, so I'm not that good, but I got along okay). It was so much fun to do two things that I love and have missed all in one day.

So now about Kurt. The other day Kurt heard some ladies talking in Russian, and since he served his mission in Ukraine, Russia speaking, he approached them. They made small talk, and he found out they were from Ukraine. He told them that he had been a missionary (missioner) in Ukraine. Well, the women thought he said militsioner, or policeman, and started going off about how wonderful the policemen were in Ukraine. Kurt, not wanting to embarrass them, didn't bother to correct them. So there are a few Ukrainian women around here that think Kurt is a cop. The woman I met on the playground may have been one of those women. I was chuckling, thinking what she would say if she realized "the cop" was my husband.

4 comments:

Lisa C said...

Russian? Wow! Living in Whipple Park makes me wish I'd taken some Asian language. Funny which languages seem more "useful" here. Even Spanish wouldn't do much for us (not that I speak it)...

KJenx said...

its fun to do things we "used ta do" like that! what fun. way to go on volunteering your services twice in one day

beccarose said...

He he...Kurt the militsioner...But good for you! With the russian opp. and trumpet. It's always nice to use skills; to make it feel like those [semi important?] things to us are not just something we "used to do"! Naomi is cuter by the day, btw...so get those batteries charged!

Paula Mildenstein said...

As I remember the "COPS" in Ukraine where not that great--always out for a bribe. Glad that you can use your skills.