Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Camera Trouble

So, I have three cameras. Long story short, I kept losing them and getting new ones, but then found them all again. Well, apparently I need three cameras. About a month ago, I came downstairs to find Naomi holding my favorite camera in one hand and a butter knife in the other, with the butter knife shoved down the compartment holding the battery and SD card. I was mortified. I was in shock. I could not believe what Naomi had just done. I was so mad, I almost said nothing at all. I gave Naomi a time-out, but I don't think she had a clue how serious what she did was. So, suffice it to say, that camera did not work. Fast forward a week or two, to just after Naomi's birthday. Kurt took our newest camera (my favorite is the middle one) to a birthday party to snap a few shots. When he went to turn on the camera, it said "lens error" and turned back off. It has been doing that ever since. I tried to look up solutions online, but none of the free, low-risk ones worked. I'm still hoping that all I need is a new battery. So in the meantime, I have been using our oldest camera, which does not fit in my pocket, is very slow at taking indoor shots and eats AA batteries for breakfast.
Today I decided I would try and take a look at the damage Naomi did to my favorite camera, just in case there was something I could do. The battery and SD card were jammed in there, so I tried to open the case of the camera, but that didn't help at all. I screwed it back together and grabbed a pair of pliers. I managed to pull out the SD card and battery pack. Lo and behold, I find a plastic dime (play money) jammed in the bottom of the battery slot. A piece had broken off so it was just the right width. I couldn't get it out with a my little screwdriver, so I opened the case back up and it loosened the area just enough that I could pop the little dime right out. With fingers crossed, I re-inserted my battery and SD card, and guess what? Good as new! I am soooooo happy! And what's more: I did it! I'm so glad we have a working camera again. I'll have to take some extra shots of the girls tomorrow just to make up for lost time. :)

3 comments:

Amberly said...

Wow! I'm impressed with your determination! I probably would have just thrown it away and cried!

Paula Mildenstein said...

Traci you are amazing! Good job. Just to let you know Christmas IS coming if Naomi needs a new camera to give you.

Traci M said...

We don't need a new camera anymore; we have two and a half!