At the risk of sounding blunt and offensive, I'm going to let you in on a little secret in order to save pregnant women everywhere (including myself) frustration. Here it is: No woman likes being told she's huge. Let me repeat that: No woman likes being told she's huge. Contrary to popular belief, this does not change when a woman is pregnant.
Now, if you've already told a pregnant woman she's huge, don't fret. You didn't know better. That's why I'm here. But it doesn't end there. There are actually several seemingly innocent variations that come across exactly the same way. So here is a list of some of the more common no-no's I've heard: "You're about to pop!" "You couldn't possibly get any bigger!" "There's no way you'll make it to your due date!" or, after hearing your due date, "Are you having twins?" No matter how you spin it, it comes across the same: "You're huge." And no pregnant woman considers that a compliment.
So, you might ask, what can I say to a pregnant woman? I'm glad you asked. I've come up with a list of acceptable pregnancy-related remarks to help you out: "You look great!", or "I'm/We're so excited for you!" or even, "Do you know what you're having?" are usually safe bets. If you want to go out on a limb, I've even heard "You're all baby!" comes across with a positive connotation.
So there you have it. Pregnancy Etiquette 101. And just for kicks, I'll throw in that many pregnant women do not like it when you spontaneously rub their belly. Just so you know.
6 comments:
I'm only half-way through my pregnancy, and I'm already picking friends based on who says I look small and who says I look big.
You're right--hearing you "look huge" is never a flattering thing!
Amen and amen!
I just tell my pregnant friends they have gained some serious weight around their bellys and should start working out or people will start to talk.
YOU ARE SOOOO ON GIRL
All I have to say is AMEN!
Congrats on being pregnant. I had no idea until you told me at book club...so that being said, you look fabulous! Also, did Kurt ever shadow anyone in RadOnc?
Post a Comment