Monday, November 16, 2009

Cupcakes and the Museum

Lately I've really been wanting to learn how to make cakes from scratch and get better at cake decorating. I checked out several cake baking/decorating books from the library and stared covetously at the glossy pictures, trying to narrow down which recipes I wanted to try. I finally decided to start with a basic chocolate cake recipe. After all, who doesn't love chocolate? I made it into cupcakes, since I was only curious about the cake flavor. Naomi loved them of course. I also thought they turned out pretty well. They tasted much better than cake from a mix. It's a recipe I'd be willing to try again. Now, one recipe down, thirty to go... Anyone need a cake for a special occasion/just because?
Then on Friday, we decided to go to the Museum of a Play as a family. We left after naptime, telling Naomi we were going to go to Sesame Street (they have a Sesame Street display). She loved the museum, as usual, and we had a hard time leaving. We were there about 3 hours. Naomi has been asking to go to Sesame Street ever since.
This little anecdote I found at the museum justified something I've been feeling for a long time now. In case you can't read it, it says, "Q: What did Cinderella say when her photographs weren't ready? A: 'Someday my prints will come!'" When I was in fourth grade, my teacher gave us a pop spelling quiz. We didn't know any of the words ahead of time. One of the words was "prince". Now, a normal teacher might have given a sentence to give the context for the word, but my teacher did not, and the word that came to mind for me was "prints". So I wrote "prints". And I got it wrong. Now, I prided myself very much on being a good speller. I knew how to spell "prince". But I was really thinking of the word "prints" as in "footprints". But my teacher would not listen to me. She brushed aside my concern, not giving me credit for correctly spelling a word that clearly has the same pronunciation. And, now that I have a degree in Linguistics, I feel that I can authoritatively say that my fourth-grade self was very much wronged. Yes, I am still bitter.
Here is a picture from the new Superhero display at the museum. I guess one of the co-creators of Captain America is actually from around here. Pretty neat, I guess. If you're into that kind of thing. :) The exhibit was pretty cool, though.Afterward we splurged and got chocolate milkshakes all around (well, we got dinner, too). This picture makes me laugh since it was pretty difficult getting that thick shake through the tiny straw, but Naomi was a champ and she managed.

2 comments:

Carmen Cole said...

Yes, I want a cake! any day, any time. :) I'll be right over. :)

Paula Mildenstein said...

Maybe we can sample some of your yummy cakes when you are here for Christmas!