Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Gardening Woes

From the way I've heard gardening described, I thought it would be this magical place where people worked side by side to bring in the fruits of the earth. In this magical place, weeding is not a chore, but an invigorating way to feel like you can really work the land and have something to show for it. And at the end of this non-chore, you come away feeling uplifted, like you've accomplished something. Well, I think going out into my garden just depresses me. And to help you see why, I'm going to take you on a little picture tour of my garden. First off, you see the mud plaguing the ground. I thought I might need to go out and water often, but mother nature has more than taken care of that this season. The heavens have blessed us, perhaps a little too much. We have downpours every few days. At least they're getting water, right?
When I walked out today, this is what I found. I know the picture is blurry, so I'll help you. Right in the middle there, it's a rabbit. Eating my plants. We are not allowed to touch our fencing because they put in new fencing on our new plot that is supposed to keep out all rodents/deer, etc. Clearly that is not working.
Here is my plot. I know it looks green, but trust me, most of that is weeds. I didn't get out to weed often enough after I first planted, and believe me, I am regretting it. But in my defense, I can hardly tell what is weeds and what is plants.
Here is a sorry little cucumber plant. I have bugs and slugs and rabbits all there to eat my plants. I'm learning quickly to sort the plants from the weeds by what is being eaten. I bought some slug killer, but it says on the packaging that you're not supposed to water for two days after you apply it. Did I mention we get frequent rain? Which brings more slugs. . .
Since I don't want to be a total downer, I'll end on a positive note. I do have a few plants that seem to be doing pretty well. My starter plants (watermelon and tomatoes) seem to be growing well, in addition to my pumpkins (pictured) and one of my squash plants. Other things are growing, too, they just aren't very big yet. So even though I have a hard time getting out and looking out at the forest of weeds, I'm hoping that in the end, I will have something to show for my efforts (fingers crossed). And I should learn for next year, right?

2 comments:

The Foys said...

Oh Traci :0) You're so cute! I'm sure that all your hard work will be worth it in the end!

Angel Kae said...

Hi Traci! I wrote Kurt an email but I don't know if he got it just to let you guys know I'm hanging around here this summer and if you two ever want to go out and need a babysitter you should call me up! Really, it'd be fun.
p.s. I know the Foys who made a comment right above this one from a ward at BYU. Hi Foys :).